Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Remington 700 tactical

I have a .308 tactical already. Anyone have one in .223. I found a used one and I'm thinking about trading another gun for it. Just curious to see if it'd be worth having.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I know your thread is specifically about the R700, but I had a Savage 223 bolt gun. I never should have sold it. It was some of the most fun shooting I have ever had. Even cheapo boxes of PMC factory ammo would shoot plenty accurate for busting golf balls at 100 yards. No recoil and easily a beyond 500 yard gun if you can work the wind!!

GET IT!

Title
    Premium Member
    I love my .308 sps tactical, and had considered the same rifle in .223, until I seen it had a 1:9 twist, I prefer the heavier bullets and have had little luck in ARs using heavier bullets with a 1:9 twist, just my humble opinion. I believe if a ridiculous offer showed up on one I’d get it for the fun factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks guys. I'm still pondering it. Since my left shoulder is messed up I can't shoot anything with much kick. That's my main reason for wanting it.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    If you buy Remmy buy old Remmy. Their recent stuff is suspect from what I have seen. If you get a good one you are okay, but if you get a lemon..... And, there are too many lemons.

Title
    I have 2 Rem700Tactical .223s in service. Neither has given me a moment's concern. I put over 14,000 50Z-Max's through one and it was still knocking off prairie dogs at 300yards
    when I changed the barrel to a 26" #5 contour Shilen. That worked so well I sold the barrel off the 2nd to a buddy (who also has shot a Tactical .223 for about 7 years) as a backup
    and replaced it with an identical Shilen. I've changed stocks and triggers, installed muzzle brakes and AR mag conversions, etc. One got most of the finish beat off it by hail.
    They just keep running. No extraction problems, no feed problems, no powder in my face when I had case ruptures (twice).

Title
    Premium Member
    I have the .223 Remington 700 Tactical, all I’ve done to it was add a Nikon P-223 4x12 40mm BDC 600 Scope using the M-223 mounting System, and I’ve had no problem using 55grn to 77grn, my range has a limit at 400 yards and have no problem hitting targets. I wouldn’t trade my Remington for anything.